More Ubuntu-Core boot up problems...

MikeB mabnhdev at gmail.com
Wed Sep 7 12:54:23 UTC 2016

On 2016-09-07 at 06:56:38 -0400, MikeB wrote:

> However, when I try to add a new user, it fails as follows. I've tried
> rebooting, etc, but that didn't change anything.

New users have to be added to the extrausers files.

sudo adduser --extrausers <name>

works for adding a new user.

However, the usermod command does not have an '--extrausers' option.  All
attempts to add my new user to the 'sudo' group fail with form of an error
trying to lock '/etc/group'.

Oddly, even adduser can't add a user to an existing group.

sudo adduser --extrausers foo sudo
Adding user `foo' to group `sudo' ...
Adding user foo to group sudo
gpasswd: cannot lock /etc/group; try again later.
adduser: `/usr/bin/gpasswd -a foo sudo' returned error code 1. Exiting.

That seems like a bug to me.

Can someone suggest a way to add an existing user to the 'sudo' group in
Ubuntu-Core?

Thanks, Mike