Currernt config hook implementation scales very badly

Gustavo Niemeyer gustavo.niemeyer at canonical.com
Wed Feb 1 12:12:44 UTC 2017

The current behavior is to present the full configuration every time, so
it'll definitely result in a healthy configuration every time no matter
what subset has changed, assuming the whole configuration is actually
valid, because changing 2 or 10 options at once results in the same
behavior on the script end. This was one of the important changes we
pursued during the reimplementation last year. What we need now is adding
some features to help with the complex cases, when there are hundreds of
options and you want to optimize the implementation having in mind exactly
which pieces have changed.

That optimization may actually be implemented completely internally to the
configure script, if we had an urgent use case today, since we can always
cache the last valid configuration and diff it. But it'll be nice to have
that as a standard feature instead.

Also, a good problem to have.

gustavo @ http://niemeyer.net