license.txt and snap/ directory

Joseph Rushton Wakeling joseph.wakeling at webdrake.net
Mon Feb 6 22:09:04 UTC 2017

On 06/02/17 00:00, Sergio Schvezov wrote:
> We removed all traces of license.txt from our
> documentation months ago as snapd made no use of it. That said you are free to
> drop license file inside the snap wherever you want.

Just to follow up a little here: I'm honestly not sure I like this change.  It
may not be used by snapd but it makes sense that there should be an expectation
that each snap package will contain a license file in a standardized location,
and there should be a standardized way of providing it.

Related to the 2.26 changes: I notice that as of 2.26 any generated package now
includes a `snap/` directory, even though the `gui` and `snap.yaml` files
included with the generated package still wind up in the `meta/` directory.

Is this a transitional change (with `snap/` being the intended long-term
location for metadata) or just a bug?