license.txt and snap/ directory

Sergio Schvezov sergio.schvezov at canonical.com
Mon Feb 6 22:40:46 UTC 2017

On Mon, 6 Feb 2017 23:09:04 +0100, Joseph Rushton Wakeling wrote:
> On 06/02/17 00:00, Sergio Schvezov wrote:
>> We removed all traces of license.txt from our
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>> drop license file inside the snap wherever you want.
>
> Just to follow up a little here: I'm honestly not sure I like
> this change.  It
> may not be used by snapd but it makes sense that there should
> be an expectation
> that each snap package will contain a license file in a
> standardized location,
> and there should be a standardized way of providing it.

If it is not defined anywhere though, this is just a de-facto standard as it really is upto each person creating there snap about where to put it.

> Related to the 2.26 changes: I notice that as of 2.26 any
> generated package now
> includes a `snap/` directory, even though the `gui` and `snap.yaml` files
> included with the generated package still wind up in the `meta/` directory.
>
> Is this a transitional change (with `snap/` being the intended long-term
> location for metadata) or just a bug?

Files owned by snapcraft will go in snap, files owned by snapd will go in snapd. All the command wrappers that snapcraft creates will also go in here.

--
Sent using Dekko from my Ubuntu device