Thinking of installing snap on Debian due to scarcity of snap packages for armhf

Ralf Mardorf silver.bullet at zoho.com
Tue Jan 3 13:38:42 UTC 2017

On Tue, 3 Jan 2017 15:08:26 +0200, Mark Shuttleworth wrote:
>My understanding is that Arch doesn't have a standard mac-based
>security framework enabled; if that's incorrect we'd be glad to work
>together to enable full security for confined snaps on Arch!

I'm neither an Arch developer, nor a trusted user. I'm just an Arch
user who tested building a snap and who dislikes the concept.

Most likely just a minority of Arch users is interested in snaps and
similar approaches.

Somebody familiar with snaps and Arch Linux could provide everything
needed by https://aur.archlinux.org/ .

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/snapcraft/ has got 2 votes only and
a comment "Is there any documentation on use Snapcraft on Arch?
[snip]"

I prefer building DEB packages for Ubuntu and to write Arch PKGBUILDs
for Arch Linux. For my needs (real-time audio) it's not worth the effort
to learn how to build snaps and to workaround issues that snaps might
cause.

Everybody is free to contribute to Arch Linux and it's easy to see how
popular the contribution is, by taking a look at the votes.

However, my concerns are about misinterpreting how good snaps are
supported by other distros. For Gentoo it seems to be similar, as it is
for Arch Linux. "An unofficial Gentoo Overlay that enables installation
of Canonical's "Snappy" backbone." -
https://github.com/zyga/gentoo-snappy

Regards,
Ralf