snappy swap redux

Jamie Strandboge jamie at canonical.com
Thu Jan 5 17:58:06 UTC 2017

On Wed, 2017-01-04 at 12:55 -0800, Kyle Fazzari wrote:
> On 01/04/2017 12:23 PM, Dan Kegel wrote:
> >
> > Hi all,
> > the ol' oom killer is getting me down.
> > What's the kosher way of setting up swap in ubuntu core 16 (on raspberry
> > pi)?
> > https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/snappy-devel/2016-March/001632.html
> > mentions it should be done in a gadget.  Is there a gadget tutorial?
> > https://lists.snapcraft.io/archives/devices/2016-September/000005.html
> > mentions it a bit but seems stale.
> >
> > In the meantime, I guess I can just do swapon manually.
> Note that https://bugs.launchpad.net/snappy/+bug/1560942 was logged
> after that discussion. I don't believe it has been resolved (i.e. I
> don't believe a gadget currently supports this).

On one of my all snaps devices I had the need to create swap space but wanted it
in place on reboot so I created a devmode snap:

https://code.launchpad.net/~jdstrand/+git/swaps

This is a throwaway snap for 'managing' (trying not to oversell this thing ;)
swap files (as opposed to swap partitions) that I created for myself until
snappy supported this properly but feel free to use/steal/improve it to unblock
yourself.

I'm not sure what the plans are here: whether it is a gadget thing, a snap
config thing for the core snap or something else. If people think managing swap
by 'type: app' snaps is useful as an interface (eg, 'swap-control') let me know
and I can submit a PR.

--
Jamie Strandboge             | http://www.canonical.com