Unicode characters break snap

Thomi Richards thomi.richards at canonical.com
Mon Jan 9 00:20:37 UTC 2017

Hi Gareth,

On Sun, Jan 8, 2017 at 10:24 PM, Gareth France <
gareth.france at cliftonts.co.uk> wrote:

> So is there something I have to add to the python script, or the
> snapcraft.yaml to allow the unicode characters?

This sounds like you may be running into unicode encoding issues in your
python source files. https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0263/ has the full
details, but the tl,dr version is that if you have unicode literals in your
python source file you need something like "# -*- coding: utf-8 -*-" at the
top of your file. The python interpreter inspects your environment to
determine the correct encoding to use, but your environment in a confined
snap probably doesn't provide the same hints...

If that doesn't work, can you build a minimal reproducer for us to look at?

Cheers,

--
Thomi Richards
thomi.richards at canonical.com