CUPS in a snap: Using content interface to connect printer driver snaps

Alberto Mardegan alberto.mardegan at canonical.com
Thu Jan 26 07:50:15 UTC 2017

On 25/01/2017 21:29, Till Kamppeter wrote:
> So CUPS needs to provide a slot to take these files somehow and this
> slot needs to accept any printer driver snap and any number of printer
> driver snaps.
>
> Can one do this with the "content" interface? And if yes, how?

Note: snapd developers are very welcome to correct me if I'm wrong. :-)

My understanding is that this is currently not possible, but it's being
worked on in an effort called "interface hooks": these are executables
shipped by your snap which will be run whenever an interface gets
connected. They can be provided either by the consumer snap (plug) or by
the provider snap (socket), or both. You could use them to register the
driver into cups.

By the way, do we have an ETA for this feature? I'm also in a badly need
for it. :-)

Ciao,
  Alberto