Moving from strict to classic confinement

Eloy García (PC Actual) eloy.garcia.pca at gmail.com
Tue Mar 28 13:32:01 UTC 2017

Hi Renato,

> eloy.garcia.pca at gmail.com>:
> > Hello everybody.
> >
> > I currently have a snap package published on the store. It is called
> > wallpaperdownloader and it is a Java-based application. So far, it has
> been
> > packaged using the strict confinement. The application basically
> downloads
> > wallpapers from the Internet and sets the wallpaper when the user
> requests
> > it. Because there are a lot of desktop environments, I have ended up
> using
> > a lot of Linux commands from the java application in order to achieve
> these
> > goals. For some DE there is no problem at all: for example, using
> gsettings
> > interface, GNOME Shell and Unity change the background flawlessly. MATE
> is
> > working properly too (I had to include mate-desktop-common as stage
> > package) but XFCE and KDE... no way. In addition, some of the most simple
> > features (open a file explorer for example) don't work.
>
> I am not sure what exactly the problem that you have to change KDE
> wallpapers but it can be related with the fact that you are using
> "desktop-gtk3", because this only prepare the environment for gtk
> apps. Some environment vars will be missing for Qt apps.

My main problem is that, first, I need to know Plasma version. in the
native installation, I execute, form Java, "plasmashell --version" command,
which gives me this version. This command in the snap confinement doesn't
exit.

> The options that you have are:
>
> 1 - create a wrapper file and export the vars by yourself.
> 2 - Use "ubuntu-app-platform"  that contains libraries and a launcher
> compatible with most gtk and qt apps.

Do you think that using ubuntu-app-platform part could have, for example,
the command I described above?. In order to change the wallpaper I have to
invoke qdbus. Same problem here. Using this part will the command be
available?

> I hope this help

Thank you very much!!! :)

Eloy García Almadén