snapcraft 2.17 has been released

Sergio Schvezov sergio.schvezov at canonical.com
Fri Sep 16 02:02:38 UTC 2016

Hello snapcrafters!

We are pleased to announce the release of version `2.17` of snapcraft:
https://launchpad.net/snapcraft/+milestone/2.17

The highlights in this release are:

- A `python` plugin rewrite, combining the `python2` and `python3`
plugins into one.  This new plugin creates
   leaner snaps, works better with regards to build environments,
separates `stage-packages` from package brought
   in with `pip` and solves many latent bugs from the previous
incantation of the python plugins.
- More assertion related goodies, `snapcraft-register-key` and
`snapcraft list-keys` are new commands added
   to this release.
- The `organize` keyword for parts now supports globbing.

As usual there is a regular set of bugfixes in this release too. Those
can be seen in the milestone referred to.

This release has seen many contributions from outside of the snapcraft
core team, so we want to give a shout out to these folks, here's a team
thank you for:

- Alexandre Abreu
- Colin Watson
- Sam Yaple

To consume the latest snapcraft release on Xenial Xerus (16.04), we
suggest you install the snapcraft package from the Ubuntu Archives:

     sudo apt update
     sudo apt install snapcraft

To get the source for this release check it out at
https://github.com/ubuntu-core/snapcraft/releases/tag/2.17

A great place to collaborate and discuss features, bugs and ideas on
snapcraft is snapcraft at lists.snapcraft.io mailing list or directly in
the #snappy channel on irc.freenode.net.

To file bugs, please go to https://bugs.launchpad.net/snapcraft/+filebug.

Happy snapcrafting,

-- Sergio and the team