mpv snap

Selene Scriven selene.scriven at canonical.com
Thu Jul 28 07:11:42 UTC 2016

* Ralf Mardorf <silver.bullet at zoho.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Jul 2016 11:54:21 +0200, Oliver Grawert wrote:
> >well, you dont really need alsa *access* you can ship the libs and
> >config in your snap (and have full control over your dependencies),
> >what you need is direct device access for that setup
>
> Yesno, there could be the need to mix audio streams, jackd, dmix or
> what ever else, so direct access to the devices isn't helpful, as soon
> as two snaps try to access one audio device. IIUC you already made
> pulseaudio available ;), but pulseaudio doesn't fit to everybody's
> needs. Jackd might not fit to this mpv direct alsa access example, but
> dmix does. OTOH I'm not using dmix, so I don't know how it works,
> perhaps dmix could be considered to quasi be the audio device.

Yes, I was thinking probably dmix, since it should be able to
give multiple snaps simultaneous audio.

Of course, for a music-oriented device it'd be nice to have a
jackd service instead, and many general-purpose devices get along
well with pulseaudio.  But for my personal use I've found alsa
with dmix to be the most efficient and reliable option most of
the time.

-- Selene