More Ubuntu-Core boot up problems...

MikeB mabnhdev at gmail.com
Tue Sep 6 20:27:50 UTC 2016

I'm building a Ubuntu Core image using latest snapcraft to build a
4.4-based kernel snap.

I then use ubuntu-device-flash core 16 --channel=edge --kernel=$snap
--gadget=pc --os=ubuntu-core -o $IMG to create the image.

I then have a script that converts the image file to an ONIE NOS installer
- but that's irrelevant.

Up until this weekend, things were going pretty well.  I could boot ubuntu
core on my target network switch, set up the Ubuntu profile, then login in
using ubuntu/ubuntu.

I rebuilt this weekend and now I can still boot up and set up the Ubuntu
profile, but I can't login.  The ubuntu/ubuntu doesn't work and I tried
every combination of my Ubuntu profile user that I could think of, but
can't login.

So, my switch is now pretty much a brick.

Here's the last things on the console I see...

[  OK  ] Started Generate sshd host keys.
         Starting OpenBSD Secure Shell server...
[FAILED] Failed to start Run snappy firstboot setup.
See 'systemctl status snapd.firstboot.service' for details.
[  OK  ] Started Snappy daemon.
[  OK  ] Started Network Service.
         Starting Update resolvconf for networkd DNS...
[  OK  ] Started OpenBSD Secure Shell server.
[  OK  ] Reached target Multi-User System.
[  OK  ] Reached target Graphical Interface.
         Starting Update UTMP about System Runlevel Changes...
         Starting Notify bootloader that boot was successful...
[  OK  ] Started Update UTMP about System Runlevel Changes.
[FAILED] Failed to start Notify bootloader that boot was successful.
See 'systemctl status snapd.boot-ok.service' for details.
[  OK  ] Started Update resolvconf for networkd DNS.

The first 'Failed' has been happening all along.  But the second 'Failed'
is new to me.  Usually, at this point I see some cloud-init/network-init
messages but that's not happening.

I can't login, so I can't tell you what 'systemctl status' is for those
errors.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Mike